1 knob ginger, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 spring onions
1 shallot, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1.5L unsalted vegetable broth
4 star anise
1 cinnamon quill
1 cardamom pod
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 packet kelp noodles
1 bunch bok choy
2 zucchinis, ends removed and made into zoodles.
Fresh spring onions and pickled vegetables to top as desired.
First, make the broth.
1. Remove the ends of spring onions and slice the green parts, set the white part aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
3. Place all the sliced vegetables along with the ends and the star anise in the saucepan and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the garlic starts to stick to the bottom, stirring occasionally.
4. Cover with 1.5L of water. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a low simmer for an hour.
5. While your stock simmers prepare the rest of your vegetables.
6. Once the broth is ready, strain out the vegetables and spices and return to the heat. Add bok choy, kelp noodles and zoodles. Cook for two more minutes then serve and top with your favourite pho toppings.