These sweet potato boats with spiced chickpeas are a delicious, protein & iron packed vegetarian meal that you can get on the table in just over 30 minutes!
They’re easy to make ahead by roasting the chickpeas and sweet potatoes when you’ve got some time to spare, or while something else is in the oven, and then filling the sweet potato boats with chickpeas and reheating together on an oven tray for about 10 minutes.
5 small sweet potatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
1 ½ - 2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp chili powder
2 tsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of asafoetida
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp capers
¼ cup olives
½ punnet of cherry tomatoes
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
½ cup tahini
Juice of a lemon
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 tiny pinch asafoetida if garlic free
Pinch of salt
¼ - ½ cup warm water
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Drizzle the cut sides of the sweet potato with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. I like to drizzle some oil on a roasting tray then rub the cut sides on this before turning right side up to season to ensure an even coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender.
2. While the sweet potatoes are in the oven mix together the ingredients for the spiced chickpeas in a bowl. Pour out onto an oven tray and spread out evenly. Place in the oven once the sweet potatoes have been roasting for 10 minutes. The chickpeas should cook for about 20-25 minutes. Check them half way and give a good stir.
3. Next prepare your tahini sauce. You can add all ingredients to a small blender or food processor if you wish, or mix by hand. To mix by hand first combine the tahini sauce, garlic or asafoetida, and olive oil in a bowl. Stir vigorously with a spoon to combine. Next add the lemon juice and continue to stir. The mix will seize up with the addition of lemon juice. Add your warm water one tablespoon at a time until your sauce is of a nice viscous consistency then season to taste.
4. Finally prep your toppings so you are ready to dress your sweet potatoes when they’re cooked through.
5. Once sweet potatoes are fork tender, drag a fork over the cut surface to mash the top slightly and create an indent for the chickpeas to nest in. Once you’ve done this for all the sweet potatoes fill the sweet potato boats with spiced chickpeas.
6. Add your desired toppings, drizzle with tahini sauce and serve!